With the summer finally here, it is the time of year when we think about taking summer vacations – if we haven’t done so already. Yet, we may have one of several thoughts.
We might be “raring to go” and have our bags already packed and are counting down the days to our holiday. On the other hand, if we are just back, we are thinking of our next escape.
However, we may be thinking we are too busy to take a break. We have far too many projects on right now. And we are thinking - what if a client needs us when we are away? What will they do? We might also feel it is too much hassle to work like crazy for a number of days, just to take a week or two off work.
Research persistently shows how important it is to take time out. It gives us a chance to rejuvenate our batteries with many health benefits. Yet, how often do we stop and think of all the reasons we should take a holiday?
So, keeping things in season I decided to compile a list of 10 reasons why we need to get out of the office and take a holiday this summer.
- Getting out in the outdoors and connecting with nature helps us to reset our natural rhythm. This relieves stress and aids our overall health.
- The fresh air makes us sleep better, relaxing and calming our minds. Our body recharges and we feel revived.
- Often we come back calm and relaxed. We have more energy; we can hit the ground running and be more productive getting things done.
- Stepping back gives us a chance to return with fresh eyes and see things in a different light. This allows us to think clearly and logically, helping us make better decisions.
- Upon our return, we are better equipped to deal with difficult situations and other work pressures.
- It can refuel our creativity, so we are more effective coming up with new ideas.
- It helps us develop a positive mental attitude reducing level of anxieties, possible depression and other ailments.
- We have more energy to get through busy periods and the dark dreary months of winter.
- Getting away from it all and hanging out with family and friends is crucial to our relationships. It makes us happy and if we are happy, our family will be happy too.
- And finally as Harvey McKay once said...
“Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back”.
As McKay rightly said, you can’t get time back, but you can get back on track. So get out there and take a holiday, if you haven’t already. And if you have, enjoy it.